Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Trial & Error

 Since becoming a diabetic alot of my cooking has been trial & error, in terms of carbs & knowing how it will affect my blood sugar. Down here in Cajun land(aka Louisiana), we are forever eating some sort of seafood dish, trying new recipes out or making up our own little concoctions. We have an endless supply of different fish(red fillets are my fav.), crabs, shrimp, crawfish(in season), alligator, oysters & bull frogs(frog legs). Since we have our fishing lease in Little Chenier,(which we go ALL the time), we always come home with something! I love,love,love to fish, so going is very relaxing and fun for me but more on that later.



We also have plenty of flavorful spices, seasonings and sauces to choose from, when we don't make up our own! The seafood itself is fine, it's the sauces,gravies & some seasonings that get me. Not to mention the rice. Have I told you how we eat rice with pretty much EVERYTHING. From gumbo's to sauce pecans, etouffee's, you name it, we serve rice with it! Now with deer, duck, quail & squirrel season open, it's a whole new ballgame for gravies and/or fried foods.


To make matters more interesting, when my husband & dad get together to cook that makes for a very eventful, curious time. See they don't exactly measure out ingredients when they are coming up with different concoctions to fix. It's a dash of this, a spoonful of that, which all cajun spices are mixed with numerous things that already doesn't have a "label" per say, so it's very tricky for me to figure out the carb intake, which comes to guessestimating. But the finished product if Always so yummy!!


Living in Louisiana all my life & being raised with all these different spices, flavors & foods has always been "normal" for me, I've never had to worry about ALL the ingredients. But for the past 2 years, I have had to become more aware of reading labels, (when it's there). But when there are no set carb labels written in stone, that's when I just use trial & error.


One day I'll get this whole mess of knowing the exact carbs in all my Cajun foods, but until then, as we say here in Cajun Land, "Laissez les bon temps rouler", which means Let the good times roll!!

1 comment:

  1. Cool, I got smart enough to find the comment link. LOL (Sorry)

    Gestimating comes with lots of practice and even though the carbs are entioned on some of the products, some things and carbs efect you a differnt way, like carbs in cerial and pasta(Non wheat posta for me) kill me and I spend a bit of time bolus for a while and monitoring because I just cant track it perfectly. Other things, I can look a them and know. I'm a proficiant gestimator. (only taken me somewhere around 40 years lol)

    Keep going and jsut pay atention, it will come to you.

    Glad I finaly found the comment part, now you will know someone is here! :)

    I wish you well

    Robert

    ReplyDelete