Friday, October 30, 2009

Candy Monster


Well here we are my friends,just one more day to Halloween,gaining a much needed extra hour of sleep & pleanty of candy. Yes, let's not forget the TONS of candy that my kids will be aquiring this weekend.

There's the excitement of haunted houses,ghosts & goblins, witches and finding the best costume! Oh & the fact of seeing how scared we can make the kids!!(Myself included)

But for us diabetics, the scare comes with the "CANDY MONSTER". I remember as a child, actually still to this day, I would always pick out the Reese's cups & Tootsie Rolls.Yum, yum, yum! To this day those are hands down my all time favorite candies, but I can only eat them in a "low" time....Boooooo..But, did you know both come in  SUGAR FREE, yes SUGAR FREE!! Hooray (I'm jumping for joy right now)!



So far this years Halloween treats at school, instead of filling the balls full of sugared candies, I opted for the Sugar Free! The kids couldn't even tell a difference, the parents were appreciative & they were gobbiled up with no second thoughts! The parents even tried em & told me they were gonna hand out sugar free this year!! Go me(can you see me doing a little jig). It felt really good to be able to give the kids a healthier, less sugared candy. Anytime I can put my 2 cents in on the big D makes me feel like I'm achomplishing a small goal & a good deed, you know since being a diabetic & all has made me more concious of what I give my kids and others these days.

Now onto Halloween night, I know the "Candy" monster will be everywhere with little ghost & goblins on it's tail. I know we will have plenty of loaded, sugary sweets filled to the top of the bags after trick or treating, so I'm just gonna get some of my favs(reeses & tootsie rolls) and stash em for when I have one of my "low" emergencies. At then I might be able to enjoy one at that time,but could live without having a low.

So with the "monster" snaking up in one more day, tell me, How will you avoid all the all too well"candy monster"? Did you do any special sugar free treats for anyone this season?


I wish everyone a safe, fun-filled & complication-free diabetic weekend!!!

1 comment:

  1. We're handing out the usual chocolate fun sized candies. I was just diagnosed in July, so we're still trying to figure this all out. We WILL be taking our leftovers to our church to be used in the children's and bus ministries. I absolutely can't have it in the house as proven by last night's little binge of Almond Joys and today's "hangover" type headache and high BG! We should probably not add to other's poor eating habits either, but, next year we'll come up with a brilliant solution to share, like maybe cheese sticks!

    ReplyDelete